Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July Excitements -- Always!

It's not a crime to make 2 posts in one day, is it? If it is, then I have officially committed my first ever blogging "don't" (It is also my first day blogging ever)! Anyways, I had to share the experiences I had this 4th of July.

Jonathan and I had it planned all out. I can already see where this was a big mistake because whenever we get all organized and have specific plans, things go completely different than expected. This was our first time to spend July 4th together at home. We were always traveling to either my parent's house or Jonathan's parent's house. So, needless to say, we have been ecstatic about starting some of our own 4th of July traditions this year. Jonathan was going to cut the grass, build some new built-ins for our basement, and then sit back and relax. I was going to put together a nice breakfast, clean and organize (which I need to do more of, more often), and relax. We bought some nice steaks, and we were definitely making homemade icecream for dinner. Sounds wonderful, right?

Here's what really happened........

We had a nice homecooked breakfast, and then Jonathan went outside to cut the grass. He was halfway done when I started hearing this loud banging at the front door. I opened it, and Jonathan came running in. He had come in contact with an angry yellowjacket, and it stung him on the leg. Then, next thing we knew the yellowjacket came out of his shirt and stung him on the arm. The yellowjacket was now free in the house! We finally killed it, and got ice on Jonathan's stings, and Jonathan went back out to finish cutting the grass. All was well in the world once again.

After cutting the grass, Jonathan went downstairs to work on the built-ins. He was an hour into it and then I heard loud, fast footsteps. I opened the door, and Jonathan was holding his right eye, and blood was pouring through his hand. Yummy, right? Well, I have some weird eye thing. It's so bad that I have to take Gatorade and peanut butter crackers with me when I go to the eye doctor because I know I'm going to try to pass out when a finger comes close to my eye. So, can you imagine what I was thinking? Jonathan was in the bathroom, and I was in the hall grasping my stomach and praying that his eye hadn't been gouged out. Once Jonathan said it was ok for me to come in, I saw the damage. He had leaned down and a nail was sticking out of one of the boards, and sliced open the very top of his eyelid, right below his eyebrow. His eye was fine. He was SO fortunate!

He sliced it open pretty good. So, we had to go sit in the emergency room which seemed like an eternity since it was a holiday, and everyone was having water accidents.......broken collar bones, concussions, chunks of flesh missing out of sides and heads, severely drunk teenager. Ha ha, it really made me want to go to the lake! Anyways, 3 1/2 hours later Jonathan got stitches and a tetanus shot. Unfortunately, it was too late to cook up steaks and homemade icecream. So, the drive thru it was! We made sure the rest of the night was extra restful though. So, we took the mattress off our bed, put it on the floor in our living room, and we watched movies! It was tons of fun! I love doing kid-like things as much as possible! I don't believe we ever get too old for that!

What sounds like a terrible day, ended up being a day of thanksgiving in so many ways. The doctors were talking about how close the nail had come to Jonathan's eye. He and I are both so thankful that the accident wasn't worse. So many times we take for granted the little things in life. So, here is me being thankful for it........THANK YOU GOD FOR SIGHT!

And I think we are going to have those steaks and homemade icecream tonight instead! YUM! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment